Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Christmas Nail

This morning in seminary, I talked about the gifts that Christ gives us and the gifts that we give to Christ. I gave each of my students a copy of a poem that is a great reminder of what it the true meaning of Christmas. Here it is:

The Christmas Nail
It's Christmas time at our house
and we are putting up the tree.
I wish I could find one simple way
to remember Christ's gift to me.

Some little sign or symbol
to show friends stopping by,
the babe was born one day
but he really came to die.

Some symbol of his nail-pierced hands
the blood he shed for you and me...
What if I hung a simple nail
upon my Christmas tree?

A crimson bow tied'round the nail
as his blood flowed down so free
to save each person from their sin
and redeem us for all eternity.

I know it was His love for us
that held Him to that tree
but when I see this simple nail
I know he died for me.

No comments: